Monday, November 28, 2011

Getting Started

One of the hardest things to do is get started. Depending on how much you have to lose, it can seem overwhelming. When I started out I was afraid to even get on the scale, last known weight was 275, I believe I was higher than that at one point. That would mean I needed to lose 125lbs. That's a WHOLE person! Very daunting.

I decided to start small, little things ya know, keeping bread to a minimum of once a week. Not grabbing a snickers for a snack, trying to get off (and keep off) the soda. I also started walking, or waddling which ever it was to start. I was pretty successful at first especially with the bread. I lost 15lbs and kept it off for 1 1/2 years. But I never could seem to get past the 260 point for more than a few weeks. I'd get down to 255, 257 or so than bounce back up to over 260. I was very discouraged, thought 'well this is it, I'll be this weight forever'.

In November of 2010 my friend Michelle told me about HCG. With the HCG diet Michelle had lost, and kept off, 45lbs. I was impressed with what she told me. It sounded hard, but weird. HCG is produced by both men and women and so is safe for anyone, but it is the main hormone produced by pregnant women. HCG stands for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, and basically it helps to control a woman's metabolic functions during pregnancy. When combined with a very low calorie diet (VLCD) it can help you to lose 1-2 pounds a day. Sounds good doesn't it, but I tell you it is not easy to stick to. The VLCD is 500 calories a day, plus lots and LOTS of water. I was, however, determined to make this year the year I dropped below 200lbs. A tall order, especially since when I weighed myself on January 3, 2011, I was at 262lbs. Could I really lose 63lbs in one year? Well, let's try! I did fantastic!

By mid April I lost 60lbs! I was THRILLED. Three more pounds and I would be below 200 for the first time in 19 years. I was tired, however, for all but two weeks of those four months I ate only 500 calories a day. I WANTED A BURGER!!!! So I decided to take a few months off, and I did. I did my maintenance phase for three weeks suggested and made sure I ate a healthy well rounded diet for the next three months. I gained only 3 pounds back. I was VERY pleased.

I decided to go back on the HCG diet in August when the new college semester began, but this time my body did not like it. I was very sick, I had very bad headaches, stomach aches and felt cruddy all the time. So, I stopped the HCG and started a normal, 1200 calorie a day diet with a strong exercise schedule. Since August I have lost another 25 pounds for a total of 85 pounds this year. I'm trying really hard to make that 100 pound mark!

Some people have made the comment of how I cheated doing the HCG diet. Well if you've ever tried that diet you'll realize it is in no way cheating. It's a very hard diet to stay to, but it gave me some very good benefits. First off it taught me good portion control. Portion control is key to losing weight. Now that I don't eat the "normal" American sized portion but eat the proper sized portion, I'm able to keep from gaining. I even lost a pound over Thanksgiving week! I didn't skimp on my favorite foods either, I had sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie. But I ate small portions and stopped when I was full. Another benefit HCG gave me was the knowledge that I was strong enough mentally to do this. I had the will, HCG gave me the way. It was a jump start to a healthier life style.

There is one last benefit that has come to me that was nothing I expected. Being a role model. Now this is something I never thought I would be. ME?? I still struggle to see myself at a size 16 (and shrinking), and people think I'm a role model? WOW. That amazes me, but, knowing that also motivates me to keep going. Motivation is hard to come by, it's the hardest part of losing weight. So my next post will be about motivation!

Stay tuned....

1 comment:

  1. You really are pretty awesome!! I really need to lose 20 lbs or so but I seem to be stuck. You are amazing and an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete